- Handle the situation! Do not avoid having the difficult discussion!
- Provide clear instructions on what is expected of the individual
- Break targets down in small bite size chunks that are SMART (specific, measureable, achievable, realistic and time bound)
- Have regular catch up sessions with the employee and give constructive feedback. If something was done well say so and if something needs improvement say so!
- Provide training for any areas of weakness identified. Remember that training can take many different formats.
- Assign the employee a mentor/coach as appropriate
- Give time to see results. If no results at the end of the timeframe invoke a more formal approach.
- If despite the above there is no sustained improvement, seek suitable alternatives if appropriate or invoke dismissal procedures.